Saturday, February 15, 2014

Quick Update

Just in case there is anyone actually reading this, I want to provide a little bit of an update.  For the Odyssey, I am going to be trying something a bit different.  I will still have summaries and reading notes, but instead of reading it online as I did with the Iliad, I am going to be doing a combination of things.  I am going to try listening to an audio book (something I have never done before), in the hopes that listening to it will help me pick up on some of the nuances.  I think this will be especially helpful considering that the Homeric epics started out in an oral tradition.

To complement my reading, I have purchased an online course about the Odyssey from www.thegreatcourses.com.  It is taught by well-known classicist Dr. Elizabeth Vandiver of the University of Texas at Austin.  I'm one lecture in and it seems fascinating.  I think it will be an excellent companion to my reading.

I hope to have a post up tonight or tomorrow.  Take care!

-Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment